The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich is a manifesto calling for workers everywhere to rise up and flee their cubicles in pursuit of a life guided by their passions and not their paychecks. It offers a practical, step-by-step guide that can be followed by people who are not independently wealthy but who don’t want to be slaves to their jobs until retirement. Whether a person is an entrepreneur or an employee, he or she can follow this path. However, the steps of doing so will vary slightly.
The American work culture is inherently flawed. Every day, millions of people willingly sacrifice the best years of their lives in service of a retirement that is decades away. Instead of embracing a desire to learn and grow throughout their lives, they work jobs they hate so that they might one day be able to relax in old age. However, no future is certain and old age may never come for some people—and for others, old age may be riddled with health woes and other challenges. Instead, a growing class of people called the New Rich are reconfiguring how they live in the pursuit of time and freedom as opposed to a steady paycheck…
- Anyone can live the life of the New Rich.
- The New Rich do not believe that money is the only measure of wealth. Instead, they measure their net worth in the time and freedom available to them.
- The American culture of working toward retirement is hopelessly flawed.
- The first step toward living like the New Rich is to define for oneself the mistakes that arise from following society’s rules.
- The second step toward living like the New Rich is to eliminate time management errors and make oneself less present at the workplace.
- The third step toward living like the New Rich is to automate one’s daily life—both personal and professional—so that most tasks can be accomplished without needing to be personally managed.
- The fourth step toward living like the New Rich is to liberate oneself from any single location, be it the home or the workplace.
- Whether choosing to travel or simply embracing the lifestyle of the New Rich from one’s own home, it is important to prepare for a period of challenges that come after stepping away from a traditional path.